Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Accidental Husband and The Only Thrill

We rented a few movies this weekend and The Accidental Husband was one of them, along with The Only Thrill.  In The Accidental Husband, Uma Thurman was a radio relationship counselor all set to marry Colin Firth, the man she judged to be the sensible choice.  She advises a caller who happens to be about to marry a local firefighter to break it off with him right before the wedding.  The firefighter is played by Jeffrey Dean Morgan who was pretty sexy and charismatic.  I have never seen him before, but he was perfect for the part.  He has a very direct, honest, in-your-face kind of approach to love and life and sets out to cause the relationship doctor the same kind of grief she caused him when she advised his fiance to break off the wedding.  He lets his landlord's teenage son, a skilled computer hacker, insert his name on the doctor's marriage license so she is unable to get married until she resolves this seeming glitch that has a different man's name already listed as her husband.  She tracks him down so they can correct the marriage license.  He begins to like her and tries to drag out the process of correcting the license and they end up in love.  I am not crazy about Uma Thurman, but, Jeffrey made the movie fun and interesting.

My take on this one is something I have thought for years - you can't find love by tallying a compatibility list and deciding someone is a good choice.  Compatibility is nice if you are not so alike that you are more like twins or siblings, but, it just does not make up for the chemistry that I feel needs to be there.  I believe you have to meet someone face-to-face to feel that connection.  And, I know how that chemistry thing can end up being nothing but a physical chemistry, but I still believe you can't REALLY fall in love on the internet, or through letters, or whatever.  You can think that you love each other and have everything in common but that feeling you feel when you look into each other's eyes, can't happen on paper or a computer screen.

The Only Thrill was also interesting, but a little long.  It starred Diane Keaton, Sam Shepherd, Diane Lane and Robert Patrick.  The moral of this story was, when you love someone, tell them and get them to stay with you.  I can relate.  I am patient.  I tend to think that when I think I feel something compelling for someone but it is not so easy to act on it, I will just wait, even until the next life!  Anything to avoid having to put myself out too much.  In the movie, Sam and Diane Keaton missed out on a life together but always loved each other.  Life has a way of slipping by rather quickly and Sam lost his chance to be with Diane.  Sam saw his son and Diane's daughter doing the same thing so he made his son go after her.  I thought it a little strange that someone like Sam's character would be so reluctant to commit to the woman he obviously loved.  He must have been a really repressed man.  The same with the son-why did he always avoid trying to get his love to stay with him?  As far as real life, I think it is more a question of being able to find that "love of your life" rather than not being able to tell them you love them.  



No comments:

Post a Comment