Search This Blog

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Ooh-Up In The Air-Why "Hooking Up" As A Lifestyle Does Not Work!

Last night I watched Up In The Air with the suave George Clooney, a uniquely beautiful Vera Farmiga and amazing Anna Kendrick.  All were great.  It was a pretty good movie.  I didn't think it was about love or a love story, but more a story about a man who finally begins to grow up a little and appreciate relationships in his life.

Well, George Clooney is kind of funny as usual. It is just his style. The movie is an interesting glimpse into what is to me-an alien lifestyle, of someone who loves a life of air travel, hotels and casual relationships. (Personally, I hate hotel rooms. No matter how nice, I just look at them and remember how impersonal they are. Everything in the room is very frequently used by other people, the spreads are seldom washed and the beds and pillows are seldom comfortable. Then, the sheets are seldom attractive or comfortable like the ones at home. I can't believe anyone really likes that).

Oh well, I have lived long enough and through enough (remember free love?), to think that just "hooking up" is never going to be enough.  Handing out pieces of yourself like a plate of eggs, has no redeeming value at all.  This is what the movie is about.  People have feelings and the need to relate whether they want to admit it or not and maybe they can dehumanize themselves enough (reminds me of what drug addicts and gangs seem to become) to go a long time with only casual relationships but eventually they want something more.  If not, then it seems that they must shut off their emotions and conscience to such a degree that they are not really living.  That is why I cringe when people suggest that all that people want anymore is to hook up.  Ugh!

Now, that is not to say that those of us who find casual sex dehumanizing, are fully feeling human beings!  Far from it!  I suspect that I and many of the people I have known, tend to avoid feeling too much and have made such a habit of it that we don't even know it.  We avoid confrontation, avoid openly discussing issues in our relationships or doing anything that might rock the boat or make us work at relating or cause us to experience an unpleasant moment.  And, I like it that way.  Even so, I can see how that is letting FEAR of whatever, rule your life and I know that is not good.  I intend to try to maintain my comfort level as I slowly work at understanding that side of myself!  (Let's not go crazy)!

Back to Up In The Air.  I liked it.  Kinda question the oscar nominations, but, it was interesting and the actors were amazing.  Thank God everyone has a heart in the end!

Be brave-let yourself feel.  I like the idea of welcoming all feeling, good or bad and appreciating the joy of life.  Of course, that only works when the bad feelings aren't "too" bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment