Search This Blog

Friday, April 23, 2010

Honeymoon and That Hagen Girl

  Well, I keep looking for a movie to go to and am just not seeing any that appeal that much.  So, will talk briefly about another couple of old Shirley Temple movies I saw today on TCM, both made in 1947.  The first one, Honeymoon, also starred Franchot Tone and Guy Madison.   It was fun, with a silly story about a young couple that can't wait to get married because the groom to be, Guy Madison, is in the service and about to be shipped off somewhere, so Shirely Temple lies and says she is married so she can follow him to Mexico and get married.  They involve the American Consulate, where Franchot Tone comes in.  It has exotic locale, romantic comedy and the always great Shirley Temple, who can make the goofiest stories interesting.  All I can say is, it seems that true love is just a matter of choice and committment, fooling yourself into believing it is true love, then working hard at maintaining that belief for the rest of your life.

The next Shirely Temple movie that came on, That Hagan Girl, was about small town gossip and how it can ruin people's lives and prevent them from ever becoming something in life.  Ronald Reagan was very nice in this and so was Shirley Temple.  Rory Calhoun was handsome and believable as Shirley's high school suitor.  It makes me think that the people who are willing to let their parents influence who they marry, especially the guys, are really not that in love or worth being in love with.  I remember the shock I felt, when a boyfriend told me his parents disapproved of me because my mother was divorced.  Thank God I was raised by an independent, open-minded, single mother who taught me by example to look beyond that kind of prejudice.  Good riddance to the worthless guy, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment