Search This Blog

Friday, April 23, 2010

Date Night, Tina Fey and Steve Carell

  Hey, movie pickin's are getting slim lately, what with all the rush to vampire love and fantasy!  Ok, I am old, I admit it.  There was a time, when I was young and just developing my romantic tastes that I kind of got the hots big time for Christopher Lee after seeing him as Dracula.  He was the best and the sexiest of any I have seen.  Later, saw Frank Langella in Count Dracula and he was also pretty good, but Christopher Lee is my favorite.  Just looking him up online, I saw a photo of him with white hair, probably in his eighties, but he looked just as sexy as ever!  I will try to find a clip to add to the video player.

Okay, I see that younger people today, have very little in the way of romantic ideals to turn to, so, I can see why they might love the vampire and fantasy movies.  I have no interest in them, though.  We did go see Date Night with Tina Fey and Steve Carell.  It was funny all the way through and, being babyboomers, we could relate to them just wanting to have a little romance in their life after a week of taking care of children and work and seeing their friends split up because they have become just "really good roommates."

Anyone who has been in a longterm relationship can relate to that.  Which, made me wonder if being really "good" roommates, or "partners" isn't what marriage has ALWAYS been about.  Isn't that the real purpose of marriage?  Isn't that the best you can expect?  Then, when you have a little more free time, you begin to enjoy that comraderie, that comfort of knowing what you like and don't like, sharing inside jokes, laughing at each other when you get into little arguments because you no longer let them bother you?  Well, I kind of think that is pretty neat. 

Tina and Steve seemed to come out of it all with the same idea, I think.  Oh, they did explore one good idea.  That partners seem to pigeon-hole each other into certain stereotypes after years of living together, and that they need to just stop and allow their partner to be in charge once in a while and show that they can handle whatever if you let them.  Tina seemed to think that Steve could not possibly come up with a successful plan to solve their current dilemma and he called her on it and said, for once, just let him show her he can.  And he did.  She was pleasantly surprised.  Makes me wonder how much we all make those close to us live up to our negative expectations of them by contstantly reinforcing them in our minds and in theirs.  Just start with a fresh slate everyday, show some respect for your partner and let them be capable and competent masters of their world.  Negative expectations are no good for anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment